Review of Ahaspokuna
Do you wish to experience ultimate luxury amidst the wilderness? Head to Ahaspokuna for a stellar experience.
Due to the lockdown situation all across the globe, there were travel restrictions within the nation. We, Nadika and Sanjanee, were eagerly waiting for the lockdown to end as we are deeply intoxicated by the idea of travelling.
As soon as the lockdown ended and luxury properties started taking new guests, we planned a trip to Ahaspokuna in Belihuloya. Belihuloya continues to be a less touristic place which is a benefit for us travellers, because we love untouched natural beauty. Hold that thought! Belihuloya is also a stream that flows through the region.
After skimming through the photographs online, we were eagerly waiting to head to the property. Located 150 kilometres away from Colombo, Ahaspokuna is surrounded by lush greenery.
How was our getaway? As the DuoEscapes family is increasing in number, we are sure you are excited to find out what the property offered us. Let’s find out through this elaborate review of Ahaspokuna Bush Walks Camp.
Say Hello To The Private Ahaspokuna Bush Walks Camp
We made the reservation a day before heading to Ahaspokuna. The property provided us a questionnaire to fill up beforehand. The whole idea of making the guests fill the questionnaire was to customize the tour. Please note that Ahaspokuna staff members have followed all the instructions from the Government. The safety of guests is their topmost priority!
The staff asked us to bring fewer items with us because the actual property is 20 minutes away from the parking zone. Yes, we followed their instructions and were happy that we did! The pathway consists of water, rocks, and other obstructions. It was a wonderful adventure, actually!
While walking towards the property, the staff were happy to show us around. We could see exotic birds and the lush greenery!
Ahaspokuna is a campsite property. Guests feel detached from the madness of the world! It feels like being in a jungle and having a little camp!
An Insanely Private Property
There are only three villas in the property. Make sure you book it ahead of time!
We got the second (center) villa of the hotel, and it was quite spacious. Please note: This is the only villa which consists of two storeys. BINGO!
Even though it is a villa, it is structured like a tent.
Second floor is a lover’s paradise where there is a massive bed. The bathroom is also attached, but the bed is in a separate tent on the second floor.
Did we tell you there is a bathtub in each villa? Carry some rose petals or request for some from the staff. The wild bath overlooks the grassland. We were impressed with the private space and how the property owners have given it a romantic and ‘private’ touch.
Each villa has a private area where there is a wild bathtub. Along with this romantic bathtub, there is a stargazing bed. It is known as the, ‘independent star bed’. You can watch the stars with your beloved because the star bed is in an open space. Spend the night under the sky and hear the sound of nature.
Foodie Heaven Amidst The Wilderness
We opted for the ‘full board’. As native Sri Lankans, we loved what they offered. It was a true Sri Lankan spread that we thoroughly enjoyed.
So, we started with lunch. Now this was a set menu and it had all the yummy Sri Lankan items.
For dinner, we had a three-course meal. DELICIOUS is the word! Nadika and Sanjanee are ardent foodies, and we turn into food critics at every property we visit.
The portion size was more than enough for us. Worth the price and totally scrumptious! Our warm regards to the friendly staff who prepared an excellent meal and served the food with love and warmth.
My dear, there is no electricity facility in this property.
However, you do get 2-3 hours of electricity to charge the phone or to get some warm water bath. In the morning, you will get 1 hour of electricity. That’s the unique factor of Ahaspokuna property.
Don’t worry – there will be electricity between 7 PM to 10 PM. Do notice the electric fence around the property! The staff ensures you are safe. Since it is closer to a wild vicinity, the fence is useful to keep you safe from wild elephants.
A beautiful night it was! The next day we enjoyed the bush walk tour of 2 hours with the expert guides.
After returning, we enjoyed the wild bath. What could be better than this experience? Yes, we spent a lot of days in the home during lockdown. But, this was a refreshing change for avid travellers like us.
We would like to summarize the trip to Ahaspokuna as a unique and unforgettable tour.
Points to Note: Review of Ahaspokuna
- Price: Rs. 19,800 (USD 105) Booked on Double Full Board Basis through directly contacting
- Ahaspokuna has only 3 villas/tents (Each villa has a wild bath and star glazing bed). The center villa is 2 storied and would be the best for privacy specially for couples. The center villa including the star glazing bed is also totally hidden within the property. Star glazing bed in the first tent is located closer to the main building area.
- The hotel staff is excellent and well trained, specially Dumindu, Sandun and the restaurant staff.
- The hotel is entirely hidden in the jungle and you will not get phone signals in most of the areas of the hotel. Therefore, hotel staff will continuously call and give you directions to meeting point on your arrival (Google map location may mislead you)
- If you are coming from Colombo, you can reach hotel meeting point, either turning right at Balangoda or turning right at Belihuloya
- It is advised to carry only few luggage (Backpacks) because to reach Ahaspokuna Hotel, there is a small hike of around 20 minutes from the meeting point.
- Electricity is only available between 7pm to 10pm and 1 hour in the morning
- There is no A/C in the tent. However, it can be cold at night in the tent and depending on the weather, the afternoon can be little hot
- The hotel provides Leech socks and raincoats and you are advised to take any insect repellent if required
- Samanalawewa Reservoir and Dam would be a nearby attraction
So that’s about the review of Ahaspokuna. You may read all our escapes here